Thank you for your interest in Ph.D. in Materials Science and Engineering (MSE) program
The Ph.D. in Materials Science and Engineering (MSE) is designed to equip and motivate future researchers and academics of engineering and sustainable materials with the advanced knowledge and skills they require to address society’s infrastructure needs for today and tomorrow.
The program is delivered by the College of Arts and Sciences in collaboration with the College of Engineering and the College of Architecture, Art and Design, and focuses on four multidisciplinary research areas, including advanced materials, materials for energy and environment, structures, and analytical and computational modeling and simulation.
PhD-MSE students work with AUS faculty who are at the forefront of their fields of science, engineering, and design, bringing knowledge and experience from some of the world’s best universities and institutions. Our faculty’s commitment to research, in cooperation with other academic institutions and major industrial and government organizations, creates an ideal environment for candidates to acquire cutting-edge knowledge and cultivate their research interests.
The program admits both part-time and full-time students. Competitive assistantships are available for qualified full-time students.
For admission to Ph.D. in Materials Science and Engineering, an applicant must hold a master’s degree in Materials Science or Materials Engineering from an independently accredited university recognized by the UAE Ministry of Education’s Higher Education Affairs Division and by AUS with a minimum cumulative grade point average (CGPA) of 3.00 (on a scale of 4.00) or its equivalent (Applicants with non-Materials Science or Materials Engineering master degrees may be considered on a case-by-case basis and will be required to take the following bridging courses.
Candidates who hold a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university with a minimum CGPA of 3.50 (on a scale of 4.00) can apply for direct admission (without a Master’s degree) to the program.
Applicants with a relevant master’s or bachelor’s degree but not in materials science or materials engineering could be required to complete the following bridging courses:
- MSE 500 Fundamentals of Materials Science and Engineering
- MSE 510 Thermodynamics in Materials Science and Engineering
Students admitted with a bachelor’s degree are required to complete the following bridging courses:
- NGN 500 Advanced Engineering Mathematics or its equivalent
- NGN 509 Computational Methods for Engineering or its equivalent
The bridging courses do not generate credit hours towards completion of the degree program graduation
The following supplemental items (documents) must be uploaded to complete the online application:
· official master’s and bachelor’s university transcripts and official graduation certificates
· three reference letters using the following instructions: refer to the supplemental items section under My Account tab / find the supplemental items titled Reference letters/ request Reference letters adding chosen referees by clicking on Start and filling up the required information (provide your referees’ official email accounts). The Reference letter request will be sent and then received on the system once completed by the referee.
At least two of the reference letters must be from an academic advisor/faculty familiar with the applicant’s background
· a Statement of Purpose (about 1500 words) describing experiences, research interests, and reasons for applying for admission to the doctorate program
· a valid colored passport scan (including residence visa scan for UAE residents)
· colored UAE national ID ( for UAE nationals and residents)
In addition, required is a non-refundable application fee of AED 450 plus 5% VAT
For information on the program visithttps://www.aus.edu/cas/multidisciplinary-programs/phd-in-materials-science-and-engineering-phd-mse
Applicants who earned their graduate and/or undergraduate degrees from universities outside the UAE must present Certificate Equivalency. For more information, please visitwww.aus.edu/uae-certificate-of-equivalency
For application deadlines and other important dates, please visitwww.aus.edu/deadlines-for-doctoral-admissions
For easy access to useful information please visit https://www.aus.edu/prospective-students
To apply, please visitapply.aus.edu
For more information about the program, please contact:
Ms Noor Ahmad Abdulmaati
Dr. Ali Sami Alnaser – Program Director
Ph.D. Doctoral Material MSE